Fast Fridays Speedway
Gold Country Fairgrounds
Fast Fridays, Auburn, California USA - August 22, 2008
By Gary Roberts
Friday was the last opportunity for riders to score points for the 2008 season. The top points scorers will come back in 2 weeks for the track championship.
The scratch main event was very competitive and on this rare occasion, did not include Bart Bast, who was relegated to third in the semifinal. 2 youngsters, Ricky Wells and Kenny Ingalls in start positions 4 and 2, against 2 veterans, Charlie Venegas and Tommy Hedden in gates 3 and 1. In all 3 attempts to start the race, the oldsters triumphed. First time Wells missed the gate and the other 3 made an Ingalls sandwich, causing him to fall into Wells’s path, who also fell, stopping the race. A complete restart was halted with Wells this time in the tapes, so was moved back 10 yards. Third time out was similar to the first, but this time Ingalls stayed up, Hedden and Venegas stayed together for a couple of laps, before Venegas pulled ahead and that was the order that held for the remainder of the race.
Ben Essary probably could not believe his luck, after sitting behind Handicap Main event leaders Ricky Felicio and Alex Marcucci for 5 laps to have Marcucci go out with a flat tyre and Felicio to fall on the last turn. Behind the leading trio persistent Bart Bast headed consistent Chad Felicio, who had both managed to get ahead of Matt Becker.
The biggest prize money event of the night was the 2008 Challenge Championship. Riders qualified from 5 events held throughout the season, and came together to fight it out for the title. The winner was Mike Faria, who beat a strong challenge from Tommy Hedden, after knocking out Wells, Venegas and Ingalls.
Scratch Main Event
1. Charlie Venegas; 2. Tommy Hedden; 3. Kenny Ingalls; 4. Ricky Wells.
Scratch Consolation Event
1. Mike Faria; 2. Bart Bast; 3. Chad Felicio; 4. JJ Martynse .
Handicap Main Event
1. Ben Essary; 2. Bart Bast; 3. Chad Felicio; 4. Matt Becker; 5. Ricky Felicio.
Handicap Consolation Event
1. JT Mabry; 2. JJ Martynse; 3. Tommy Hedden; 4. Bryan Yarrow; 5. Ricky Wells.
2008 Challenge Championship
1. Mike Faria; 2. Tommy Hedden; 3. Kenny Ingalls; 4. Charlie Venegas; 5. Ricky Wells.
Division 2 Main Event
1. Danny Faria; 2. Danny Turner; 3. Jay Ricketts; 4. Mike Browne; 5. Steve Lewotsky.
Division 2 Consolation Event
1. Tom Fehrman; 2. Jeff Irwin; 3. Brian Leventon; 4. Harlan Bast Snr.; 5. Les Veale.
Division 3 Main Event
1. Doug Geist; 2. Dustin Berdollt; 3. Kjell Lovlien; 4. Richard Fehrman; 5. Adrian Contrares.
Division 3 Consolation Event
1. Billy Vaughn; 2. Glen Scott; 3. Tor Lovlien; 4. Greg Lovlien; 5. Rich Mignano.
Youth Division 1
1. Thomas Reich; 2. Cody Ciciarelli; 3. Tyler Warren; 4. Amber Felicio; 5. Tanner Kane.
Youth Division 2 & 3
1. Kendra Warren; 2. Joe Dingle; 3. Desi Fehrman; 4. Jameson Dilkey.
So next week its the Youth (under 16) and Junior (under 21) National Championships and the following week the track championship.
Gary Roberts - firstname.lastname@example.org